The Bat Dude

Building the Bat Car

Engine Cover and Hinge Mounting



  1. Fabrication and mounting of the bat fins.

  2. Engine Cover and hinge mounting

  3. Complete re wiring

  4. Fabrication of steel windshield frame

  5. Fabrication and construction of Convertible  Top

  6. Fabrication of back window

  7. Fabrication of Front Beam support structure

  8. Fabrication of Gull Wing Doors

  9. Constructing retractable Headlights

  10. Mounting and fitting of front turn signal lights

  11. Mounting and fitting of Gas Tank

  12. Fabrication and installation of side scoops

  13. Fabrication of a 2"body lift


Engine Cover and Hinge Mounting


I wanted the hinge for the engine cover to be strong. the original Bradley GT used a wood strip fiber glassed into the back of the body and wood screws to mount the hinge. I used a router to cut a 1 inch wide by 1/4" deep by 40" long slot in the back where I was going to mount the hinge. I got a piece of 1"x1/8"x40"long steel strap and glued and clamped it into the slot with resin. I then laid in several layers of fiberglass and resin until it was built up even with the back of the car. It was then sanded smooth.

In the below photos you can see I bought a piano hinge cut it to 36" and drilled 1/8" holes through the fiberglass and into the steel strap  to match the holes in the hinge. I bought 100 5/8" long stainless steel flat head # 32 allen screws ( from WW Grainger) as they will be used in other areas on the car. I used an #8 32 tap to thread every other hole on the hinge.

On the engine cover, I glued a 3/4" 1/8" x 36" long aluminum strap to the inside top of the engine cover itself. I drilled and tapped through six of the matching holes also with an #8-32 tap and bought six stainless steel acorn nuts as the 5/8" screws will go through both the aluminum and fiberglass with 1/8" to tighten the acorn nuts. I used anti-seaze grease on all the threads to keep water from seeping in and rusting the threaded holes.

 You can see the mounted engine cover and how the hinge is mounted in the above photos.

Above: You can see the latch linkage and the engine open support rod. I didn't like the hood pin latch arrangement so I borrowed an idea of my camper shell latch. I welded tubing to the the adjustable hood pins and the rod slides through the tubing to latch. I mounted a "T" handle to the outside center of the engine cover. It can be locked if need be. The green wire goes to my license plate light but has not been connected yet.